I am posting the discussion between me and Charakan on the ISRAEL-PALESTINE/HAMAS issue. I believe it is worth reading.
As it turns out, both of us hate HAMAS but I also Kinda took Israel’s side between ISRAEL-PALESTINE, but at the end of it, I guess I am pretty convinced that ISRAEL isn’t doing all that good in Palestine and we do need to see things beyond what ‘western’ media says.So I kinda stand confused on this issue now,I would love to see what you guys think..even if that involves changing my opinion.
It all started when I wrote the below paragraph in my last post
I was irritated when Israel was asked to stop their confrontation with HAMAS recently. For me, it was the same thing,, hello!! Israel did not call for it, they even gave up GAZA, hoping for peace, you freaking come and fire rockets at them, what do you expect back? I know that innocents get involved and loose their lives, but then there are innocents loosing their life on Israel’s side as well, right? A country has every right to protect its citizens.
His replies in blue.
Mine in Red.
I do not agree with you on Israel.May be you should read about the history of Arab-Israeli conflict in detail and come to a conclusion rather than depending on Western Mass Media.
few links from anti-zionist jewish websites which may help you
http://www.normanfinkelstein.com/article.php?ar=10&pg=4
http://www.jewishvoiceforpeace.org/publish/101conflict.shtml
You can also read a recently published Book titled Broken Promises Broken Dreams by a Jewish doctor named Dr Alice Rothchild.
I will go through the link, but my point is, that time is over, now if you don't fire rockets at Israel, they ain't gonna simply attack you.The world has changed now. To stick to old causes and still develop suicide bombers is not justified anymore.Same is the case with LTTE,they came into being for a reason, but now they just kill innocents, like HAMAS does,,so I am pretty much not interested in what happened 30 years back and why they were formed, if you are killing innocents now, you will get what you deserve.
I cannot understand what you meant by World have changed.Nothing has changed for those in Gaza.Palestinians are facing an occupational force all these years.Even if 150 years pass occupation is occupation.
The attack on Gaza by Israel just before Obama's coronation was an election ploy.Israel had an election in February and the various Israeli Political Leaders involved wanted to depict themselves as more aggressive than the other at the expense of lives of about 1200 Palestinians. Go through those links when you get time.It may be interesting if you like history.
Well, our thinking is pretty much the opposite in that case, I really don't think ISRAEL will attack palestine NOW if HAMAS stop firing its rockets. If you remember just when ISRAEL declared ceasefire after a month long operation, HAMAS was still firing rockets.
I mean, I indict HAMAS for all the innocent lives that were lost and not ISRAEL. If they stop goading ISRAEL, I seriously doubt ISRAEL can do any damage to PALESTINE NOW ( And by now - what has changed is that countries need to justify their attack on someone, even US by the way ). If you don't give ISRAEL a reason to attack, it CANNOT and WILL NOT.
How come, you support my view on LTTE and Not on HAMAS? Even LTTE was formed for a noble cause by the way.
Chikki,you talk as if Israel and Palestine are 2 sovereign states. And you said Israel even gave up Gaza Strip as if Britain will say we even gave up India in 1947.Israel is a Nation created by Britain and US in West Asia on the Palestinian homeland. Main root of the problem is that.Israel still contorls all the routes to West Bank and Gaza and decides what happens there.The missile strike was against the Isreali blockade of the border crossings resulting in severe food shortage and economic hardships. I do not support Hamas which is an ultra extremist Islamist force.I support Fatah.Systematic undermining of the moderate and somewhat secular Fatah by US and Israel by sabotaging all peace deals signed by Arafat resulted in the rise of Hamas.Israel likes Hamas the same way hindutva forces likes jihadists.Both feed on each other. You can also read the open letter to Obama by Teachers of major universities of US in my blog about Palestine issue.
http://mytake-charakan.blogspot.com/2009/01/open-letter-to-obama-about-gaza.html
Sorry for the long comment.I am and I believe most freedom loving liberal people all over the World are emotional about this.
Gaza was a territory won by Israel in a War in which it faced troops from almost 6-8 countries or say the whole Arab-world'.Can you beat that?Do you expect China to give 'Aksai Chin' back to India?
By the way, rockets are not aimed at Blockade alone. I have no idea how do I reply to this. I think HAMAS will be ashamed too when they hear this, I mean, even if they fired a rocket or two at blockade, you ofcourse know that even HAMAS claims responsibility of rockets they fire inside Israel, don't you??You do know they claim responsibility of the suicide attacks that happen inside Israel, right?
About your open letter to Obama?I don't see it eulogizing HAMAS, but I do see it criticizing ISRAEL.Interesting, you should probably read LTTE's history too, I am sure, you will start criticizing Sri Lanka.Allthough I must say I am a bit confused as you said you agree to my points about LTTE and Sri Lanka but not Hamas and Israel.
You talk about freedom?What about freedom of Israel to exist?Do you know HAMAS doesn't even recognize Israel??
Oh yea, I remember, you casually mentioned that you hate HAMAS too, then you should probably read my post again.Infact I wonder, what were we even debating then?I am not sure, what is the point that you wanna convey? Is it something like , you wanna say - you hate HAMAS and you hate Israel too??By the way you should also read how Jews residing in the Arab world were oppressed after the war.
I am against LTTE , I am against HAMAS, I am against any damn terrorist outfit, that kills innocents, that has no regard for human value, Ofcourse I support offensive against them, and that is why I was so pissed off when ISRAEL wasn't allowed to pursue its bombing of HAMAS targets, and that is why I get pissed off when I hear Tamils across the world sympathize with LTTE.
By the way , I stand by my point, I take HAMAS responsible for innocent lives lost in Gaza.
Chikki,you said,
Gaza was a territory won by Israel in a War in which it faced troops from almost 6-8 countries or say the whole Arab-world'Can you beat that?
Do you mean to say that if a foreign army invaded a part of country and established control then they have the legitimate right there for ever even if they withdraw? By that logic Germany which beat the Allies in World War 2 and occupied France and other European Countries should have all the rights there for ever? Will you call the French resistance movement terrorists then? In any resistance movement there will be extremists.Hamas is an extremist organisation whom I do not support.
Difference between the Srilankan Tamils cause and that of Palestenian cause is that Srilankan Tamils are facing discrimination in their homeland from a majority ruling class while Palestinians are facing Occupation by an invading force. Discrimination by a democratic ruling class is different from Occupation by another country.
Invading force'..?? Who wanted to capture Israel and who refused its existence??who wanted to invade Israel? Who massed up army along the border which led to war??Who wished that Israel should cease to exist?? Errr....Arabs..!!
Just because they Lost the war, and the opposite happened - Israel ended up capturing some of their territory, you can't cry foul now..That would be so lame..Why was a defeat not expected in the 1st place??why were the pros and cons not carefully weighed?
I believe Israel does better than Arabs would have done if god forbids the result would have been opposite. In 2004,Israel agreed to return land captured by them, if HAMAS stopped the violence. Unilateral disengagement from Gaza was a result of this.But what did HAMAS do??continued its violence and broke the peace accord. Why would a country not get pissed?Specially when it also HAS THE POWER TO GET PISSED!!
Chikki, Israel is a Nation created by Britain and US using their colonial power in West Asia on the Palestinian homeland. Do you agree?
Zionists are settler minorities who is trying to displace the majority Arabs from their home land. do you agree?
If a large group of ppl come to your native land and try to settle there and carve an exclusive settler only nation there will you welcome them or oppose them?
Above points are the root of the problem.Rest of the discussion depemds on how you answer the above questions.
If your answers are supporting Zionism then I will beg to disagree and stop this discussion because there is no point in continuing.
"Israel is a Nation created by Britain and US using their colonial power in West Asia on the Palestinian homeland."
Agreed! That happened after the holocaust.
And ofcourse you don't disagree with the fact that JEWS were not there before creation of ISRAEL, do you??
From what you have been writing, it looks like - even you don't recognize the right of 'ISRAEL to exist' which is very disturbing to me.
"Zionists are settler minorities who is trying to displace the majority Arabs from their home land. do you agree?"
I think its the opposite happening - Arabs just can't recognize the right of 'ISRAEL to be'. why can they 'Live and let live'??Why do they keep goading ISRAEL all the time?? and when ISRAEL retaliates, they start looking around the world for help. Wahhh!!
"If a large group of ppl come to your native land and try to settle there and carve an exclusive settler only nation there will you welcome them or oppose them"
First of all Israel is not on a 'conquering spree' and we are not living in an 'imperialist age'. ISRAEL is a NATION now . It is not practicing 'Slavery' either.
You attack ISRAEL, ISREAL doesn't attack you and take your land away!! It is even ready to give your land back. All it wants is peace which you can't seem to believe in because if peace prevails, you will obviously not have an agenda to live and you will become so Jobless!!
To all the ARABS -->
'LIVE AND LET LIVE' guys please. 2nd World war is over long back.A lot has changed, but please MOVE ON you guys!!
Ya, thats all! I hope you did not skip anything.;-)!Its an exhausting post again with more than 1800 words. These ‘55-ers’ are gonna hate me.
IHM – I remember the strikethrough post, I will do it I promise.:-).
17 comments:
ooh you posted the comments in a new post??? If you had warned me I would have come up with more convincing arguments.
Let me reply to your final comments.
I am disappointed and pained seeing what u wrote...... Its ok we can agree to disagree.
I consider Palestinian freedom struggle equal to all such anti-colonial freedom struggles that took place in the 20th Century including India. The difference there is the Colonialists have no where else to go but to co habit with the natives.Arabs did not hate Jews untill some part of their land was colonised and the large number of Palestinains were pushed out of their homes. It was the Christians in Europe who hated Jews and were behind the holocaust.
Do I recognise the right of Israel to exist?
If I have the ability to turn the clock back by about 70 years I will be strongly against the State of Israel coming into being. Now the colossal injustice has been done.What is the way out?
There are several proposals with One State solution and Two State solution and needs detailed study of feasibility.
Geneva accord is one of them with many supporters on either side. I support a solution that will ensure fair amount of justice to the displaced and suffering ppl of the region.
It is true that Islamists are trying to use the Nationalist issue of Palestine for religious propaganda and hate mongering.But that will not anyway reduce the importance of Palestinian cause. It is heartening to note that Palestinian Struggle enjoy World wide sympathy and almost all countries in the World have one or more Organisations founded to support Palestine.See theList here
It is also inspiring to see a large number of Jews all over the World opposing the cruel actions of Israeli Government. Here and here
Good debate!
Oh my God you guys can really debate!!!
I came to say Congratulations... just wanted to share my delight that we did not vote for religion!! Don't you think this is Man Mohan Singh's victory?
@Charakan
I understand your point. But we can't go back in time. So now the fact is ISRAEL EXISTS AND WILL NOT DISAPPEAR.I recognize the right of ISRAEL TO BE..
2 Points that bother me
1) 'Invasion' as the world says was not started by Israel.It was the Arab world who wanted to invade Israel.
2)Why did HAMAS not respect the 2004 peace deal when Israel promised the return of Land.
From Palestine's side, I am concerned because Israel is messing up with their 'Human Rights'.
About
"It is heartening to note that Palestinian Struggle enjoy World wide sympathy and almost all countries in the World have one or more Organisations founded to support Palestine"I really wanna see if people from all religions do it..If it is just Muslims, then all I have to say is this 'Brethren' (as expected) is probably even without understanding the practical situation.
@Indrani
Thanks..But, you forgot to mention what do you feel about the whole issue??
@IHM
Oh yeah.I am so happy.!! Ofcourse it is Manmohan's victory . We will analyze the victory in coming months anyway, just too happy to be analyzing now..:)..
All the more happy because I wanted the Socialist Jerks to fall..I can see their fall now..Hurray!!!Thankfully Mayawati is out too..!!
Congrats to you too :)
As far as I know after the establishment of Israeli State the territories under its control has only increased. In West Bank and Gaza Israeli mlitary is the real authority.
Then how can you say Arabs invaded Israel?
Why did HAMAS not respect the 2004 peace deal when Israel promised the return of LandDo you mean the unilateral withdrawal of illegal Israeli settlements from Gaza Strip?
Hamas or Fatah was never a party to such an agreement.Then how can you say they did not respect it?
"Then how can you say Arabs invaded Israel?"
They did not.I said they wanted to, because allthough Israel did a preemptive attack on Egypt, the strike formation were 1st formed by EGYPT, and the EGYPT asked the peace keeping force on its border to leave, the ISRAELI containers were not allowed to pass even though the waters did not belong to any particular nation. Top of it, countries such as IRAQ also sent its troop to fight alongside, EGYPT,JORDAN,SYRIA, and many more.
The intention of the Arab's was clear - they wanted to drive Israelis out. :(.. This is what led to 1967 war.
"Hamas or Fatah was never a party to such an agreement.Then how can you say they did not respect it?"
Considering the fact that these people are fighting for getting their Land back, why would someone not be a part of a deal that says 'we will give you, your land back in return for peace'..and HAMAS was a part of it as far as I remember.
@ Chikki
Nice debate. The debate pretty much reflects the thoughts of both sides of the conflict. Btw, I was wondering if you have read the Book - O ! Jerusalem by Larry Collins, Dominique Lapierre . It gives a good idea about the arab israel conflict and the circumstances under which Israel was created.
@Charakan
I agree with a lot of your points however when you say that
Arabs did not hate Jews untill some part of their land was colonised and the large number of Palestinians were pushed out of their homesI am not sure if I would make such a sweeping statements about the arabs not hating jews. Maybe we should take a look at how jews were treated in syria iraq or egypt before 1947-1948 before we can exonerate the Arabs of any hatred.
IMHO, I don't think that even if Israel gives away their entire territory to the palestinians today and apologizes for the atrocities, Jews will be respected by the Arabs for their sacrifice. And the reason for it can be found in the Quran. Although I understand that this may not be pertinent to the discussion at hand.
Chikki, you said
I really wanna see if people from all religions do it..If it is just Muslims, then all I have to say is this 'Brethren' (as expected) is probably even without understanding the practical situation Let me clarify that ppl from all religions of the World who are concerned abt the plight of Palestinians are involved in the solidarity movements. It is sad that the Corporate Western media, US govt, Israel and many Arab Countries depict the issue as a religious one for their own vested interests.
Many American and European [non muslim] volunteers are working in the occupied territories using non-violent means to resist the demolition of Palestinian homes.Many such volunteers were injured and few killed by attack on them by Israeli Forces.In March this year Tristan Anderson, 38,a peace activist from USA was hit in the forehead by a high-velocity teargas canister fired by an Israeli border policeman in the village of Nilin. The incident came after a demonstration against Israel's West Bank barrier, which as elsewhere has cut off a large slice of the village's agricultural land.See the Guardian report of the incident here here
Most unfortunate incident was the killing of Rachel Corrie an American peace activist by Israeli bulldozer as she tried to non violently prevent the demolition of Palestinian homes in 2003. Read CNN report here
Nitwit, thank you for agreeing with me in many points. About Arab-Jew relations what I meant was clashes between them were few and negligible till 1920s.Clashes began when the Zionists started new Jewish settlements with the intention of forming a jewish state in Palestine land.Before that Arabs and Jews has history of peaceful co-existence for centuries.
@Charakan
There is no point in putting across invidual cases, as in I can present some cases of people killed in suicide attacks in ISRAEL, are they not people too??What about the people who die because of the numerous rockets that Palestinians keep firing at ISRAEL..??The discussion then becomes endless.
To the point the facts are
1)Israel did not invade West Bank and GAZA, out of no where.It was a result of ARAB's intention of invading ISRAEL.
2)Israel was and is ready to give them back.
3)ISRAEL is a nation and people there have right to live
Yes - Israel seems to be messing up with human rights in palestine, so does our Indian Army seem to be doing in Kashmir..We are all against it..Ofcourse!!
This is probably my conclusion.:)
@NitWik
Hi, thanks. I liked the debate too. I always do. :)..
Thx for the book reference, will try to pick it up. Kinda no time to read anything :(
2 incidents of Israeli aggression on non-violent International activists that I pointed out are to make you aware of the widespread International solidarity for the Palestine cause.
Now let us try to conclude trying to find points of agreements between us.
We can agree that violence against civilians should have no role in Palestine resistance movement. Use of weapons by Palestinians [mostly stones and crude missiles] in frustration at the economic blockade will produce only a "scratch" on Israeli skin but will invite a retaliation that will kill thousands of Palestinian children and civilians as we saw in Gaza recently.
We can agree that both Jews and Palestinians have equal right to live, eat, sleep, own homes, move around as they wish, practice their religion, work, get educated etc with in the space of mutually agreed boundary of two sovereign democratic States.
this debate - who should get what is not complicated. a bunch of jews just wants the land and they will do anything to get it - not my words but the words of an american jew on tv. -- i understand the political debate.
as you know , a part of the bible is history of these guys. it also says - that whereever these guys cross their paths there is going to be friction. so even until the ends of the earth this thing is unlikely to have a peaceful ending. one party is always going to get disappointed! And USA is blindly going to support Israel no matter what.
what i have written is not logical. Did not have to be, because this fight has been going on for centuries and only a few years recorded is like a story of nursery rhymes --
the kashmir virus is a little different because only kashmiri muslims want to take off --
chikki - can you increase your font size when you use font colors like red or blue ? thank you :)
@Anrosh,
Hey, Ya, I will increase the font size,thx for honest advice..Appreciate it.
A bunch of jews just wants the land??Nopes, you are wrong..Israel did not call for the WAR.After the WAR, some of the conquered territory was immediately returned, Unilateral disengagement from GAZA is also complete.Its more like a whole lot of Arabs, who don't love peace, who wanna remove Israel from map.!!
@Charakan,
"Use of weapons by Palestinians [mostly stones and crude missiles] in frustration at the economic blockade will produce only a "scratch" on Israeli skin but will invite a retaliation that will kill thousands of Palestinian children and civilians as we saw in Gaza recently""Scratch"..Not really..People do die in suicide attacks..
About children and civilians loosing their life, Like I said from the very beginning, I indict HAMAS for that.
Talk of
Post a Comment