Saturday, June 12, 2010

BP and the great leak.

My perspective on the BP oil leak is shared by few other people as mentioned below : 

The multibillion-dollar, multinational company found support for its efforts. In New York, that support came from billionaire Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

"The guy that runs BP didn't exactly go down there and blow up the well," he told a radio program. "And what's more, if you want them to fix it and they are the ones with the expertise, I think I might wait to assign blame until we get it fixed."

In London, England, a Downing Street spokesman said Prime Minister David Cameron spoke Friday with BP Chairman Carl-Henric Svanberg.

"The prime minister explained that he was frustrated and concerned about the environmental damage caused by the leak, but made clear his view that BP is an economically important company in the UK, US and other countries," the spokesman said in a news release.

"He said that it is in everyone's interests that BP continues to be a financially strong and stable company."

British Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg appealed for a reduction in the vitriol that has gripped many observers. "I don't, frankly, think we're going to reach a solution stopping the release of oil into the Gulf any quicker by allowing this to spiral into a tit-for-tat political, diplomatic spat," he said.

I have no idea – how is a protest going to stop the leak any faster?? This is because I believe BP is already doing all it can to stop the leak, unlike ofcourse the shameless Union Carbide India ltd – which got away with a slap on the wrist.

While all this is happening, Obama is delivering populist dialogues. Yes – dialogues.

7 comments:

Nimmy said...

:) I have been following the leak since it happened..

Maybe Indians should learn from US government on how they care about their people..

Bud-Wiser said...

Yups they should.but my point here is that even US is overdoing it now. BP is doing all it can to stop the leak. If anything - people can volunteer to help them instead of protesting. I mean - I don't see BP shying away from responsibilities here..

Indian Home Maker said...

I agree with you but Chikki seeing the pictures is heart breaking. This is the best time to do exactly what America is doing and make noise about both Bhopal and BP.

I read a post about how America cares more for some water birds than we do for our citizens - that kind of talk does no good. All wrongs should be protested against until one is satisfied with whatever is being done.

BP did expose American double standards though :(

Indian Home Maker said...

"Blog i like/dislike?" You dislike some of the blogs on the sidebar?!

Bud-Wiser said...

Oh yeah, I agree with the noise. I just don't agree with over doing it. Moreover, one should understand BP's position too. From what I read - I thought they were doing their best to contain the spill.

Oh , abt "Blogs I like/dislike", there was this 'Advani' Blog that I was following too (during the election time), allthough I did not like it, I still wanted to see what does he have to say. That was when I changed "Blogs I like" to "Blogs I like/Dislike" :-)..

Sorry for the late reply.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Advaniji :) I saw his face on so many blogs too :\

Glad you aren't totally not-blogging... look forward to updates :)

Bud-Wiser said...

Yups. I am glad that I am totally not blogging.. :-).. Wanna devote more time, but wish time could be bought back with the money that we earn out of our time..:-)

Random books from my Library